Give Money. Give Time
It's part of the holiday season where I want to give. When I first moved back home after school, I wanted to give my time. I went to the Project Angel Food orientation...but never followed through with setting up a time to go and volunteer. And I think I did the same with another community organization...and again I never followed through.
I think its from the 'work' factor. I work 40 hours a week. I just want to relax.
So instead of giving time.... I'm able to give money. After my mom explained to me that Salesian Mission were the ones that helped my dad when he was an orphan. I feel it an obligation to give back to them.
I was sent a link to a new organization: Someday Soon. I was reading their first newletter that explains the reason why they were created and their Mission Statement. Because they are so new, I feel like I have to do more research to figure out if they're legit. But from reading the newsletter, it hits all the right chords... which can go either way (either they're so good at saying the 'right' thing or this is in fact a great charity). Going back to the newsletter.. one of the founders says it well:
"While many continue to have strong emotional attachments to Vietnam, their distrust and resentment toward the current Communist government prevents many of them from contributing to post-war rebuilding efforts. Although many sympathize with the plight of Vietnamese people, it is this resentment towards the Vietnamese government that often overcomes the desire to help.
...While some overseas Vietnamese continue to harbor their personal political resentments, millions of Vietnamese continue to suffer in extreme poverty. Relieving this poverty is not a matter of polical debate, but of morality. WE must bury the past, especially when the future of this recovering nation is so bright. The children of Vietnam should not continue to suffer from the fallout of past wars"
source: http://www.someday-soon.org/wp-content/themes/arthemia/newsletters/08fall-newsletter.pdf
If I find this a legit place to donate my money... I'll probably do it. Maybe even someday I'll go back to Vietnam and see where my money has gone to.
Sometimes I give a combination of both time and money... and that's usually from my 'Walks'. I like doing the AIDS Walk, Revlon Run/Walk.
For some reason, during this holiday season I find it more of an obligation to give more time. I didn't want to go volunteer at the LA Mission or other organization when its so close to the holidays. I didn't want to be one of those ppl that just do it because its the holidays.
So, as a New Year's Resolution... I think I want to follow through with the giving the time to do something for the community. I have to be grateful with what I have. I have my job. I'm able to save money when others are worried how to pay bills. I want for nothing. So, I think I'm mentally ready to help others now.
Now the hard part is trying to find a group that I can feel comfortable with.
I think its from the 'work' factor. I work 40 hours a week. I just want to relax.
So instead of giving time.... I'm able to give money. After my mom explained to me that Salesian Mission were the ones that helped my dad when he was an orphan. I feel it an obligation to give back to them.
I was sent a link to a new organization: Someday Soon. I was reading their first newletter that explains the reason why they were created and their Mission Statement. Because they are so new, I feel like I have to do more research to figure out if they're legit. But from reading the newsletter, it hits all the right chords... which can go either way (either they're so good at saying the 'right' thing or this is in fact a great charity). Going back to the newsletter.. one of the founders says it well:
"While many continue to have strong emotional attachments to Vietnam, their distrust and resentment toward the current Communist government prevents many of them from contributing to post-war rebuilding efforts. Although many sympathize with the plight of Vietnamese people, it is this resentment towards the Vietnamese government that often overcomes the desire to help.
...While some overseas Vietnamese continue to harbor their personal political resentments, millions of Vietnamese continue to suffer in extreme poverty. Relieving this poverty is not a matter of polical debate, but of morality. WE must bury the past, especially when the future of this recovering nation is so bright. The children of Vietnam should not continue to suffer from the fallout of past wars"
source: http://www.someday-soon.org/wp-content/themes/arthemia/newsletters/08fall-newsletter.pdf
If I find this a legit place to donate my money... I'll probably do it. Maybe even someday I'll go back to Vietnam and see where my money has gone to.
Sometimes I give a combination of both time and money... and that's usually from my 'Walks'. I like doing the AIDS Walk, Revlon Run/Walk.
For some reason, during this holiday season I find it more of an obligation to give more time. I didn't want to go volunteer at the LA Mission or other organization when its so close to the holidays. I didn't want to be one of those ppl that just do it because its the holidays.
So, as a New Year's Resolution... I think I want to follow through with the giving the time to do something for the community. I have to be grateful with what I have. I have my job. I'm able to save money when others are worried how to pay bills. I want for nothing. So, I think I'm mentally ready to help others now.
Now the hard part is trying to find a group that I can feel comfortable with.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home