Getting Experience
So thinking back over the whole hire a student interior decorator or an interior decorator that's just starting out... how can they expect to be paid so much when they start out when they're trying to get experience/build their portfolio??
When I was starting out in my career direction... I volunteered. Eventually, I was a student and gaining experience through rotations...again working for free. Then I was an intern and I got paid half (or even less than half) of what I would be expected to be paid when I got my license. And then I finally got mine when I got my license.
Now, if you're still a student or you just graduated and don't have a big portfolio.. you're going to have to realize that no one is going to pay you the same amount as a person who has tons of experience.
I've been told that a professional interior decorator's rate can go from $75+. A person just starting out shouldn't make me pay that much. And I wouldn't because you don't even have a portfolio that can back that up.
My friend, V, who's trying to get into the professional photographer door was giving out free photo sessions to just build up her portfolio.
I'm not saying that someone decorating my living room should do it for free.. but don't charge me that. argh. yea.. i'm upset about this.
When I was starting out in my career direction... I volunteered. Eventually, I was a student and gaining experience through rotations...again working for free. Then I was an intern and I got paid half (or even less than half) of what I would be expected to be paid when I got my license. And then I finally got mine when I got my license.
Now, if you're still a student or you just graduated and don't have a big portfolio.. you're going to have to realize that no one is going to pay you the same amount as a person who has tons of experience.
I've been told that a professional interior decorator's rate can go from $75+. A person just starting out shouldn't make me pay that much. And I wouldn't because you don't even have a portfolio that can back that up.
My friend, V, who's trying to get into the professional photographer door was giving out free photo sessions to just build up her portfolio.
I'm not saying that someone decorating my living room should do it for free.. but don't charge me that. argh. yea.. i'm upset about this.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home