Ashes and Snow


(http://www.wnyc.org/slideshows/ashessnow/popup.html)
His exhibit was absolutely wonderful. I'm glad Huong suggested that Nga and I go with her to see it today. It was showing near the Santa Monica Pier in the 'Nomadic Museum' which is also a wonder in itself. Made of 148 empty steal cargo containers. It's quite amazing.. once the exhibit is over...some of the cargo containers will hold the artwork and be used to ship the exhibit to it's new location. Everything used to build the museum is all recyclable. Hm.. definitely have to see it to understand how unique this structure is.
So the first impression I got when I saw Colbert's artwork was... 'are these photographs??'. They appeared to be drawings..and if they were photographs, they had to be so digitally modified or 'artistically' modified. But part of the exhibit were three showing of films...and this definitely gave the viewer a context of how these photographs were taken...humans interacting naturally with animals. So seeing the films.. you knew that Colbert didn't modify anything at all. No tricks. It's el naturale. It's quite amazing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home