Scared Shitless
One of the nurses on the ICU calls down tonite and says she sent a Med-Request. While on the phone, she says she was given the wrong bag..blah blah.. but when I read what she wrote on her Med-Request... I get so freakin' scared.
"Given D5/0.45 NS 20KCl and has been running since last nite. Order was for D5/0.9 NS 20KCl. "
Only Mike and I were working last nite.
Oh Shit!!
The nurse asks if someone will come up...and I tell her I'll be right there.
Fuck!!!
I let Adrienne know what's going on. I just can't stop having this bad feeling at the bottom of my stomach. I keep saying "PLEASE don't have my initials on it.. P L E A S E!!!" ...and then I also don't want Mike to get in trouble either.
So, I go upstairs with the right bag and the nurse directs me to the IV bag that's been hanging and explains the whole scenario. (Meanwhile, the family of this kid is just sitting steps away). Greeeeat.
I see MY initials on it. oh shit.
But I look at the label and I look at the bag... it's right. Label says D5/0.45 NS 20KCl and the bag IS D5/0.45 NS 20KCl. Nothing is wrong.
The nurse keeps saying there was never an order for D5/0.45 NS and the pt was always supposed to get D5/0.9 NS...
Anyways... to make a long story short... I don't think I'll be slapped with a malpractice suit tonite. Thank goodness. whew. But DAMN... I almost wanted to cry if I did something wrong to someone else.... oy.
Things to get down within the month:
(1) Purchase additional Liability Insurance.
"Given D5/0.45 NS 20KCl and has been running since last nite. Order was for D5/0.9 NS 20KCl. "
Only Mike and I were working last nite.
Oh Shit!!
The nurse asks if someone will come up...and I tell her I'll be right there.
Fuck!!!
I let Adrienne know what's going on. I just can't stop having this bad feeling at the bottom of my stomach. I keep saying "PLEASE don't have my initials on it.. P L E A S E!!!" ...and then I also don't want Mike to get in trouble either.
So, I go upstairs with the right bag and the nurse directs me to the IV bag that's been hanging and explains the whole scenario. (Meanwhile, the family of this kid is just sitting steps away). Greeeeat.
I see MY initials on it. oh shit.
But I look at the label and I look at the bag... it's right. Label says D5/0.45 NS 20KCl and the bag IS D5/0.45 NS 20KCl. Nothing is wrong.
The nurse keeps saying there was never an order for D5/0.45 NS and the pt was always supposed to get D5/0.9 NS...
Anyways... to make a long story short... I don't think I'll be slapped with a malpractice suit tonite. Thank goodness. whew. But DAMN... I almost wanted to cry if I did something wrong to someone else.... oy.
Things to get down within the month:
(1) Purchase additional Liability Insurance.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home