12.08.2006

wait a minute here...

DAMMIT!!! I'm so not the type of person to buy books. Borrowing from the library. Yes. Buying the book and copying the entire book and then returning the book back. Yes. I'm guilty of that... that's how I survived school and was able to save some cash. So what made me cave in today?? Well, after listening to Smart Couples Finish Rich. It was nearly impossible for me to jot down things that the author was telling me to do while I was driving. Concepts were basically in one ear and out the other. So in my previous post I thought I could just remember things and post it up on here. Welp. I needed a book. Will I return this book back to Barnes and Noble? I dunno yet. I'm thinking of passing it on to Dan so he'll have some bathroom material to read. Will I return it after Dan who may want or not want to read it ... is done with the book? haha.. I dunno.

Step 2: Determine the True Purpose of Money in Your Life

Your Life Values Should Determine Every Life Decision You Make
What's the purpose of Money in Your Life?
What's Really Important to You?

As a financial advisor, I've learned that when all is said and done money is good for three basic things. It helps people:

1. Be
2. Do
3. Have

Let me explain what I mean by this. When I say that money helps people be, I mean that it allows them to live in a particular way that defines who they are. When I say that money helps people do, I mean that it makes it possible for them to take actions that will help create the kind of lives they think they want. And when I say that money helps people have, I mean that it enables them to buy stuff.

Creating Your Own Value Circle. Start with the simple question, What's really important to you? When you think about your life and the things that really matter, what value is most important to you? What's the purpose of money in your life?

It's crazy to think that I've really never sat down to think of this. What's the purpose of money in my life?? What does Dan think about this whole thing? I'm curious.

Like I know my parents.. mostly my mom always tells me .. always help poor people.. donate some money to the church ..to a good cause. She's always telling me that. It really does make her feel like a rich person when she's able to send some money back home to her brothers.. to donate to Vietnamese charities that are giving back to the community. She really does try to practice what she preaches.

So what's this purpose of me working so hard and saving up for??

In the last year.. the main focus for me is just work work work. save save save. I know the goals that I want to attain with my money. Have to afford a wedding. Have to afford a house. Those are like my two main goals I've been striving for right now. I'm already done with saving up for a decent wedding. I'm still struggling with saving up at least 20% of a downpayment for a house. Anyways, those are goals. What's my value... what's really important for me?

Samples of Values:
Security
Freedom <-- Important
Happiness
Peace of Mind
Fun <--- Important
Excitement
Power
Family <--- Important
Marriage (Fiance/Hubby) <--- Important
Friends <--- Important
Making a Difference
Spirituality
Independence
Growth
Creativity
Adventture
Fulfillment
Confidence
Balance
Love
Health

It's SO incredibly hard to just pick or come up with five values. Like I wanted to pick more.. but I'm sticking with the ones I picked. If I could pick another.. it would probably be 'Make a Difference'.

Am I achieving those values? Somewhat. Would I feel like a happier person if I was achieving these values in my life? Maybe... I think I would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home